[Athen] experience with Canvas LMS accessibility?

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:58:26 PST 2013

I've already chimed in (a while back) about some of the problems with
Canvas accessibility, so I won't rehash as they're probably no longer
current. As far as I can tell, many of the more serious issues are on the
instructor-facing side of things, with a gradebook that's completely
inaccessible for keyboard, speech input, or screenreader users.

Probably the most challenging aspect of assessing the accessibility of
Canvas is the fact that updates are constantly being applied to the LMS and
as far as I know, institutions cannot freeze any particular release. I've
been told that updates are being rolled in every two weeks. Not only does
this mean that the behavior of Canvas can change as far as location of
controls and features, it makes any accessibility evaluation very time
sensitive. Having a freshness date on any evaluation is going to be vital.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Ken Petri <petri.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone done an independent review of Canvas accessibility or have any

> general impressions? OSU looked at it last year and we had some misgivings,

> but I've heard it's improved.

> I have a colleague at Northwestern who is considering it.

> Thanks,

> ken

> [image: The Ohio State University]

> Ken Petri, Program Director

> Web Accessibility Center, ADA Coordinator's Office and Office for

> Disability Services

> 102D Pomerene Hall | 1760 Neil Ave. Columbus, OH 43210

> 614-292-1760 Office | 614-218-1499 Mobile | 614-292-4190 Fax

> petri.1 at osu.edu wac.osu.edu

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology