[Athen] RoboBraille

James Bailey jbailey at uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 19 09:55:54 PST 2013

Hello all:
I think the RoboBraille service is great and I tell our Alt-format users about it. I particularly recommend it for those study sessions when a picture-only PDF comes off of BlackBoard etc. and a the student needs it converted quickly to keep working.
I have received an e-mail or two from them suggesting we (U Oregon) need an agreement with them. We do not use it at all in our production process. I simply make students aware of it and the students then use it or not as individuals.

This is from their web site (it's cut and paste so any typos are theirs):
"RoboBraille is available 24/7 as a self-service solution, it is free of charge to all individual, non-commercial users and users need not register in order to use the service. The objective is to support and promote self-sufficiency of people with special needs socially, throughout the educational system and on the labour market. As an additional benefit, RoboBraille helps to protect the privacy of of those who need material in alternate formats."
This seems pretty cut and dried to me.
If you have a take on this, please share it.

Oh it gets better!