[Athen] please resend to list - Peoplesoft and JAWS

Greg Kraus greg_kraus at ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 4 02:38:52 PDT 2013

I actually had a meeting with our PeopleSoft developers yesterday
about some development on our systems, and now I have one more piece
of information that is important to the discussion for screen reader
users. There is a fundamental problem with the way PeopleTools creates
the UI that will always make it very difficult for screen readers
users, and keyboard-only users to a degree, to fill out complex forms.
The short version of the story is screen reader users should not use
the tab key to navigate between form elements. They should always use
their virtual cursor. The reason is PeopleTools assigns a specific tab
order through the tabindex attribute to every single form element on
the page. You cannot disable the tabindex. Usually the tabindex order
gets set correctly, however, for longer forms or more complex forms,
it is not uncommon for the tab order to become seemingly erratic.
There actually is a logic to the order, but not a logic that is useful
for humans.

That's why I say screen reader users should never use the tab key to
navigate between form elements, because there is no guarantee that
pressing tab will take you to the next form element. Using the virtual
cursor solves this problem.

Greg