[Athen] AltFormat Survey

E.A.Draffan ea at emptech.info
Thu Apr 3 01:25:24 PDT 2014

One of our biggest issues is not necessarily the practicalities of it all
but changing attitudes and then the ability to have the time to illustrate
the difference alternative formats can make.

Even when we have repositories of accessible materials and the tools to use
them readily available, many of the academic, teaching and even support
staff are unaware of their existence or unaware of the processes that are in
place to gain access to alternative formats, let alone understanding what it
all means!

Despite all the technologies and support with the Disabled Students
Allowances often our dyslexic students are unaware of what is available as
they have not been offered alternatives at school.

We have several projects now addressing STEM accessibility but once again it
tends to be those on the mailing lists and working in the field of
accessibility who know about them not the general educationalists or those
in the workplace.

So there is still a big knowledge gap to be bridged as well as the
difficulties in addressing who delivers the service and how it is maintained
in times of constraint.

Sorry to add a rather depressing note.

Best wishes

E.A.