[Athen] regarding course registration and selection of accessible version

Catherine Weldon catherine at csmlearn.com
Fri Apr 11 13:43:20 PDT 2014

Dear all,

Great listserv. As a relative newbie to the broader issues this list addresses regarding accessibility, I've learned a bunch, and have reviewed archives in hopes of not asking already answered questions. Our organization is pursuing technical assistance toward accessibility, and have met some wonderful people via this listserv who may assist us.

I appreciate input from willing contributors on a topic I'm not finding addressed in the accessibility literature. My questions are below. If they are not appropriate for this group's attention, I will understand.. and I hope not to be intruding.

BACKGROUND
CSMlearn is a freely available web-based course providing a remarkably successful method of mastering core literacy and numeracy skills while building the student's confidence, persistence, and ability to learn on their own. We have clients in workforce centers, high schools, and colleges across the U.S. We offer a certificate demonstrating acquisition of specific skills.

QUESTIONS
* Teachers or administrators are responsible for adding student accounts in our application.

* Is there guidance on the registration process whereby a teacher would select an accessible version of a product for a student? Where can I read about this?
* We assume that employers would refer to an employee's accommodations to identify if they require an accommodation, and we expect in education that teacher would refer to a student's IEP or ADA accommodations. True?
* Is there language that is accepted in the community for such purpose, something like: "You have selected a version of CSM that meets Section 508 standards and is appropriate for use by individuals with disabilities."

* Individuals can register for CSM as well.

* Is there guidance regarding self-identification of disabilities upon registration for a web-based training program that will result in certification?
* Whereas teachers, administrators or workplace training coordinators would be asked to identify the correct course option for individuals with disabilities (and those entities have supporting documentation in hand in order to make that determination), we're not sure how to "verify" the appropriateness of the selection when the course taker is an individual.

These questions are based on concerns that while we aim to provide "Equivalent access" and content, we may be providing "Alternative access" in enough cases - and for a period of time during our development of accessible content - such that the accessible version may actually be easier to pass. If the relative ease became common knowledge and students signed up for it inappropriately, we may have no way of preventing this (oh, I hope to have explained our team's concern well and not sound really lame :)).

Feel free to respond to me personally, and again I appreciate your input.

Catherine Weldon
Apprion, LLC
3015 E. 47th Street, Suite E-4
Boulder, CO 80301
(303) 862-7233<tel:%28303%29%20862-7233>
catherine at apprion.org<mailto:catherine at apprion.org>
www.csmlearn.com<http://www.csmlearn.com/>