[Athen] course inventory assessment

KRISTA L. GREEAR greeark at uw.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:11:13 PDT 2014

Hi Heidi,

The process I used to evaluate these materials was at the “grass-roots” level. I emailed each professor, explaining who I was and what I was looking for (keeping the email to about 4 sentences or less). I ended the email by saying “IF you use a learning management systems like Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas, could you please add me to the site as an observer?” This provided an educational opportunity for those who have never heard of text conversion. Of course, this filled up my inbox and took a lot of time to respond to those who needed more information. But I was granted access to several dozen LMS sites within a matter of days. A couple of professors even came to see me to learn more about accessibility (a pleasant surprise)!

The next step was to download all the articles and evaluate them. My team opened each document, looked for some key accessibility features (quality selectable text, headings, pictures/graphs, crooked pages, etc…). This info was recorded in a spreadsheet and each document evaluation took roughly 10-15 seconds. I liken our evaluation process to hiring managers who look at dozens of resumes. The average person in that role spends 30 seconds or less per resume, looking for the keywords or most important highlights before making a decision regarding if the candidate is a good fit. Within a couple of seconds, my team can identify the top accessibility concerns. From there, I determine which documents need to be fixed and delegate assignments to a team member.

Is this evaluation process replicable quarter after quarter? No. Each quarter I work with more students and have more intensive projects. But this project gave me a great start to have conversations with professors, instructional technologists and other necessary partners on campus, to work on a campus-wide solution.

And to answer your last question, at the UW, Social Work courses are notorious for having hundreds of articles per course. Humanities classes generally have more articles than STEM courses.

Krista