[Athen] sub-lists

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Fri Aug 8 10:31:59 PDT 2014

Hi Colleagues,
Thanks for all the feedback. With closer listening, we heard JAWS say,
sub-list of one item, but she was not sure what a sub-list is. I found this
a very interesting point. She expressed the same confusion over some ARIA
labels. And this JAWS user is very experienced!
As web developers, we should be more careful that the semantic structure we
work so hard to create, is explained to the end user. How is a blind user
supposed to learn about ARIA , sub-lists and such things?
She navigates mainly with arrow keys in order not to miss anything when
she's new to a page. And who can blame her since most pages she probably
encounters aren't structured properly.
Best,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College
971-722-4720
*"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”* Tim Berners-Lee