[Athen] Question on tactile graphics

jkb jkb1200s at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:39:31 PDT 2014

After those before me had some inconsistent and unprofessional-looking results with foil and some other techniques, I learned from Gaeir how to use PIAF with Illustrator. The paper is expensive so you have to get your technique down but the results are fantastic. I once had someone at an AT conference produce some TG (tactile graphics) for me with a fancy embosser and when I showed the students they preferred the TG I produced with PIAF.

Illustrator is a robust, complex program so if you're not a graphic artist there will be a learning curve. If you have many other responsibilities like I did and can't spend all your time in production, you can try to find a student in the graphics program to at least create some templates for you but students who are adept with Illustrator will still need a great deal of guidance regarding what should be produced as a TG and what should be omitted. You'll use textures to delineate the different elements of the graphic and there are only so many textures that feel different enough. Too much tactile graphic is confusing for students and some can't make heads or tails out of an overly complex TG. Determining what to include and what to omit may require a meeting with the instructor - I loved involving faculty in alt format production anyway and developed some great relationships that way. Like much of alt format production, TG is an art, not a science. I added the Braille with Duxbury. Worked out great, thanks Gaeir, for PIAF and so much more.

Julie K Balassa
Sent from my iPad

www.utsc.utoronto.ca/ability