[Athen] Blackboard Collaborate captioning tool

Heidi Scher hascherdss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 08:46:47 PST 2014

Happy New Year everyone!!

This spring semester we have a couple of deaf students who are taking
several online classes. The instructors plan on using Collaborate several
times throughout the semester.

My concern is that transcribers/captionists are trained to produced quality
real-time communication. The Blackboard captioning tool seems to simply be
something similar to a word processor built into Bb. But the tools that
trained transcribers need to use aren't available.

Our thoughts are if these are planned work ("class") sessions, it might be
better to use onsite interpreters or transcribers in order to provide the
quality and effective real-time communication to the student.s

Has anyone every used the captioning tool built into Blackboard for
Collaborate sessions? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Heidi

Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director
Center for Educational Access