[Athen] Matlab and JAWS install instructions?

Greg Kraus greg_kraus at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 10 09:00:02 PST 2014

I tried a number of months ago and could not get it to work. The
fundamental problem I ran into was

1. Java now ships with the accessibility bridge, which does no good in
this situation and must be disabled.
2. Matlab has it's own version of Java packaged with it, but the
organization of the Java files does not seem to be in agreement with
what the instructions for manually installing the access bridge says.
3. The version of Java (32 vs 64 bit) that ships with Matlab wasn't
necessarily in agreement with what my machine wanted. I think you had
to look at the x-bit version of Windows, Java, Matlab, and JAWS, and
even when I thought I got it as right as I possibly could, I couldn't
get it to work.

So I talked with one my of blind colleagues who had to use Matlab as a
student recently and he recommended running it like a terminal window.
I think what I ended up doing was running with the "-nodesktop"
parameter from the command line, which in essence gave me a terminal
window that I could interact with. My colleague also said he added "an
entry in default.jss to tell jaws to read new lines automatically". I
never did that step, but it might be useful.

It's been a number of months since I did all of this so I could have
the flag slightly wrong, but that's what I have in my notes. I hope
this helps.

Greg