[Athen] Windows 8.1 Reader app

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 22 11:35:15 PST 2014

Hello all,

Has anyone tried using the Reader app for Windows 8.1?

I was trying a few different AT applications that provide text-to-speech support (Claro Read and Read & Write Gold) to see if I could get these apps to work with the Reader app. Predictably, there was not much support for all the different reading capabilities in Claro and Read & Write Gold, but I was not able to get any speech output even when selecting the text. It seems as if the Reader app is separate from the underlying OS in that the selected text content is not available via the clipboard.

Has anyone had different experiences with the Reader app in Windows 8.1? Have you been able to any text-to-speech output from that app with or without AT applications?

Thanks and take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology
Office of Accessible Education - Stanford University