[Athen] Online eBook Accessibility

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Wed Mar 26 12:45:53 PDT 2014

Last time I checked -- about a year ago -- TTS in Coursesmart was not so
smart. User had to highlight the text, bring it up in a dialog, yadda yadda

However it appears they listened to some feedback as their online help
indicates it works more smoothly now. http://is.gd/eDMrSY is the link that
describes how to use with ClaroRead

That's after you request "accessible" versions of Coursesmart-delivered
material noted in the first bullet point on the above link.

-*- Dan

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Wink Harner <foreigntype at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi out there in ATHEN-Land,

> Anyone have any first-hand experience with the use of screen readers or

> TTS readers with online textbook sources such as:

> - Chegg

> - CourseSmart

> - GooglePlay-

> - Kindle

> - Kno

> - Vital Source

> Publisher denied a PDF file and suggested the student purchase one of the

> electronic versions of the requested book from the sources (above).

> Student's preference is PDF, but if he can get the file to read aloud, he

> may be OK. I have asked him for his preference.

> What experience do any of you have in the TTS capabilities on any of those

> e-book sources listed?

> Let me know!

> Thanks in advance for your collective knowledge.

> Wink Harner

> foreigntype at gmail.com

> 480-984-0034

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology