[Athen] anything better than built in TTS on Surface?

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Wed May 21 14:41:20 PDT 2014

To be honest, this sounds like a case of someone using a screwdriver when it's a wrench that is needed. You can poke at the bolt all day long with a screwdriver, but it's just the wrong tool.

Unfortunately I think a lot of students — including many in the K-12 system as well — that are being sold or choosing to use tools that just aren't appropriate OR effective.

As an AT platform, it sounds like RT makes a pretty fancy coaster.

From: "KRISTA L. GREEAR" <greeark at uw.edu<mailto:greeark at uw.edu>>
Sorry for the confusion, yes, I’m talking about Windows RT. I do like the other TTS software offered (thanks Ron and Wink) but obviously can’t use them on this tablet. I tried Narrator, Text to Speech app (absolute waste of $5, don’t use), Wobble TTS app (doesn’t have pause option and very limited interface), and Text2Speech app (which crashed as soon as I tried to paste text). Seems like the best