[Athen] Captioning others web based content

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Wed May 21 13:22:19 PDT 2014

Hi Shawn and all,

You wrote:

> We've found that Amara <http://www.amara.org> has been really helpful as a

> tool. Since you're not modifying the original content, permission is less

> of an issue. Since it's web-based, too, there's no software costs. We have

> student workers doing the captioning, we review it... works pretty slick.

How much less of an issue is it? What copyright issues exist with
using Amara to provide captions for videos that a university doesn't
own?

We are looking for a solution too. But am a bit hesitant as under
"Amara Terms of Service" it says:

"As an Amara account holder you may submit Content to the Service,
including captions and subtitles. You understand that Amara does not
guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any Content you submit.
You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary
licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you
submit."

and

"You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not
contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject
to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission
from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally
entitled to post the material and to grant Amara all of the license
rights granted herein."
http://about.amara.org/tos/

Thoughts?

Thanks,