[Athen] Livescribe and note taking

Forman, Tracey traceyf at disability.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:25:40 PST 2014

We are not currently loaning smart pens to our students. While I know the Smart Pen technology can be a great tool, I see pens and notebooks as personal items and not something we need to provide to the students as an accommodation.

When I attended a LiveScribe workshop at AHEAD a few years back I could see the management of loan program on a large scale would be challenging. To use the full features of the pen it requires that the pen be registered to a specific person and e-mail address. At that time it appeared you had to contact Livescribe tech support to have them manually reset the pen account each time the pen was assigned to another user. (If this has changed, please let me know.)

However our department does have 4 Livescribe pens of differing models (Pulse, Echo, Sky) in the office that we use to do demonstrations and trainings. We have a few staff members that will help students set up their own smart pens, but we are not providing the pens, notebooks or other supplies to the students as an accommodation. Setting up the Sky model pen was initially a little challenging because the Wi-Fi that the pen supports initially did not work with the enterprise Wi-Fi login system used on our campus. Thankfully that was fixed in one of the recent firmware updates and we have been able to help students set-up the wi-fi sync to their Evernote software if needed.

For students that cannot afford their own recorder (or the Smart Pen) we do have an inventory of digital voice recorders that we loan on a semester basis. For now we currently see the pen as a preferred accommodation/personal device for notetaking/recording. The recording and notetaking accommodation can still be met in many other ways. We still coordinate volunteer notetakers, loan digital voice recorders and train students on some other recording/notetaking tools (computer software, tablet apps).

I'm not saying we would never loan a smart pen, but this is not something we are doing in regular practice right now or anticipate offering on a scale that you are suggesting.

I'm attaching our notetaking technology handout that we use to train and discuss options for notetaking with a variety of recording tools. We are in the process of updating it for the spring and plan to include some of the suggested tablet apps as well.

--
Tracey Forman
Disability Services