[Athen] Livescribe and note taking

Jane Berk BerkJ at macewan.ca
Wed Nov 5 15:16:52 PST 2014

To answer a couple of your questions...

A number of students here use Echo pens (not ones with wifi), with varying rates of success. Some love it, some hate it. Many don't like the fatness of the pen, the weight of it, or the scratchy sound in the background. The wifi versions were having too many issues a while back, and so we bought a large number of the old, sturdier models for our students.

We find that notetakers are sometimes the best option in class for students to get acceptable quality notes.
For example, we have been using the livescribe 3 pen with a notetaker in class for students with visual impairments. The notetaker uses the pen and the notebook and the student has an ipad with the app on it for live transfer of notes, so the student can see what the notetaker is taking (and enlarging it if necessary) at the same time as it is being written. The 2 devices are linked via bluetooth. (And they are not android compatible.) The files are then sent via google drive to the student (in the case where the student doesn't own his own ipad and is borrowing one of ours for class). The student just opens the files on his home computer (no need for extra software).

For many students requiring notetaking help we are recommending Sonocent's Audio Notetaker, which we have been using with great success for the last couple of years now. It incorporates powerpoints (if available), photos, notes, and editable audio files all in one, together, which is basically pre-organized notes and requires little extra work to make the notes very user-friendly.

For all versions of our technology, including the notebooks and refills, we have "loaners" which are funded through our university, as well as options for purchase through grant and funding programs or directly.

Thanks,

Jane Berk
AT Educational Assistant
Assistive Computer Technology Service
Services to Students with Disabilities
MacEwan University

Room 7-198 D3 CCC
10700 - 104 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 4S2

E: berkj at macewan.ca
T: 780-497-5826
F: 780-497-4018
MacEwan.ca

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.

>>> "Norwich, Lorraine S" <lnorwich at bu.edu> 11/5/2014 10:32 AM >>>

We are in the process of doing a pilot study on live scribe pens and implementing them at BU. Any feedback or information you can share with us on how you loan the pens if you use them or if you still use note takers, would be very helpful.

Thanks

Lorraine

Lorraine S. Norwich, BSME, MSIS
Assistant Director of Disability Services
Boston University
19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
lnorwich at bu.edu (email)