[Athen] Livescribe and note taking

Lisa Brandt lisa.brandt1 at pcc.edu
Thu Nov 6 14:42:22 PST 2014

Hi Lorraine,

We have both a student loaner program and a faculty UD pilot at PCC.

We limit students to checking out the pens for one term only, since this is
meant to be a "try-before-you-buy" courtesy loan, so that they can see if
they are helpful enough for them to buy their own. We also have a number of
pens with failed screens that otherwise work well, and students are
permitted to check those out for multiple terms. So far we've had no
students who want to check those out, though.

We're using the 4 GB Echo for student loaners, and 8 GB Echo for faculty
loaners. I have tried to help a couple of people who bought one of the
newer wifi models, but they have proven exceedingly difficult to set up (at
least on the network we have here). As you probably know, the Livescribe 3
cannot be used without an iOS device, so we don't recommend that model for
general use.

We also have high demand for the pens, and have been purchasing more each
term. Students receive 20-30 minutes of training upon checkout. They are
always very enthusiastic about the pens, but I have seen many pens returned
with only a couple of note pages used. We are looking into what's happening
and ways to address that.

It can be difficult to get the pens returned on time. Either students don't
want to give them up, or they are too easily lost because of their size.
Although we prefer that students return the pen that they originally
checked out, we do allow them to purchase a replacement for us if they
don't want to bother with moving to a new pen.

To mitigate the scratching sound mentioned by Jane Berk, we also have
Livescribe 3D Recording Headset available for checkout:
http://amzn.com/B007JUS330 These are earbuds with embedded stereo
microphones.

Our UD pilot program allows interested faculty members to check out a pen
with the condition that any notes created are shared with all students in
the class. Some instructors use the pen to create materials; others have a
student or notetaker take notes. We then survey the students toward the end
of the term to see whether they used the notes and found them useful.

Lisa
--
Lisa Brandt, PCC Disability Services
Accessibility Technician