[Athen] Are Accessible Multilingual/Multi-directional EPUBs supported today?

Brian Richwine blrichwine at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:30:14 PDT 2014

Update: Well, surprisingly, performing either a Save As PDF directly from
Word 2013 or by using the Adobe Acrobat plug-in for Word, creates a
multi-lingual / multi-directional PDF that works in iBooks on iOS 8.0 just
fine. It is interesting to me that iBooks handles this from a PDF so well,
and not in the somewhat (at least what I consider to be) less complex EPUB
file format.

We tried a few different XHTML and HTML5 files, and experimented sending a
link to the file by email and trying to read the file using Safari on iOS
(again, latest 8.0.x as of last week). VoiceOver started reading the Arabic
just fine, but stopped reading altogether when it hit the language change
into en-US. The files we tried validated and displayed fine, just would not
read. We didn't dig too deeply on this option to see if it worked, say on
VoiceOver on OS X, etc.

None of the EPUB players we have handled language changes in the EPUB
(including VoiceDream).

Multi-lingual files are very important to us in the higher education
environment due to many students required to take language learning courses
(books that switch repeatedly between English and Spanish, English and
French, etc.). Getting it to work on iOS and iBooks is important too since
several of our low-vision students use iOS devices.

Considering it is a conversion from a Microsoft format to an Adobe format
and then being played on an Apple platform, I'm super happy that such a
simple conversion process works. If there was an easy way to mark up
language changes in PDFs then we'd probably kept the text in the original
PDF. However, we only know how to mark up language and direction changes by
converting it to Word. The export to Word feature in the latest Acrobat Pro
worked like a charm for this... much better than trying to OCR fancy Arabic
fonts!

-Brian