[Athen] need to caption instructional video if followed by detailed text-based instructions

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 17 13:31:14 PDT 2015

Hi Sharon,

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Captions provide a equivalent experience of the audio information using text. I would submit that a person watching the video who has to scroll back and forth between the instructions and the on-screen demonstration does not have an equivalent experience. Including the step-by-step tutorial is great, but it does not offer an equivalent experience.

If you already have the text information of the presentation (as from the step-by-step tutorial), it is simple to obtain an actual caption file. If the video is on YouTube, then you can upload a text transcript and the YouTube platform will create a synchronized caption file. Alternatively, I was informed of a company recently that will do the text synchronization for $0.75 per minute - SyncWords: https://www.syncwords.com/pricing (you can also get transcripts created as well).

Take care,
Sean