[Athen] Chart Accessibility

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Mon Dec 14 13:53:24 PST 2015

Hi Jason,

With graphs like these, it is important to understand what information is
really important. In other words, is it possible to simplify the information
shown? My guess is that these graphics lend themselves to multiple sheets
for a single graphic. One tactile would be the "overview," providing the
overall shape of the curves without a lot of the detail of the measurements.
If the specific measurements are needed, then other graphics in sections
would be useful.

It's good to realize that, many times, a lot of information is included in
visual graphics simply because it can be. Often much of it can be
simplified. You may need to speak with a content-area expert to understand
exactly what the graphic is attempting to convey.

Also remember that sometimes, for a student who is not that comfortable with
tactile graphics, a simplified graphic with sighted support to describe the
detail may be a good option.

And, as John said, you can always make the graphic itself talk, which may be
the best of both worlds.

There are a lot of great resources available now for helping you to develop
tactile graphics. Some of my favorites are shown below.

The BANA Tactile Graphics guidelines have very good information on how to
create tactile graphics:

http://www.brailleauthority.org/tg/

Also, the DIAGRAM project from Bookshare has a very nice sample book:

http://diagramcenter.org/standards-and-practices/accessible-image-sample-boo
k.html

Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired has some nice basic
information-especially on using Word to draw maps:

http://www.tsbvi.edu/graphics-items/3189-tactile-graphics-resources-1

http://www.tsbvi.edu/component/content/article?id=1465:basic-principles-for-
preparing-tactile-graphics

I hope this helps!