[Athen] Unusual request

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 9 18:17:39 PST 2015

Hi Byron,

I will second James's suggestion of having a PDF document that is tagged and the same document in an image format. It it easy to create the inaccessible PDF from the accessible PDF version - just save it as an image file (TIFF, PNG, JPG, etc.). You can do this from Adobe Acrobat (File > Save As Other... > Image > desired file format). As James mentioned, it is a nice way of showing how the same document can be accessible depending on how it is created.

Given the use case you mentioned, I am not sure I understand the Kurzweil angle. Does Kurzweil now read tagged PDF documents? My understanding was that it would either run OCR on the file or, at best, just try and read the text layer. Just reading the text layer, however, does not equate to an accessible PDF. For example, the document could be a text-based PDF (no headings, image descriptions, logical reading order, etc.) and yet there could still be text spoken.

Take care,
Sean