[Athen] ATHEN Minutes and Updates

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 15 10:28:30 PST 2015

Hello ATHEN List,

Welcome to 2015! I hope you had a safe and enjoyable winter break. I wanted to provide you with an update of recent activities and news in the field of access technology.

ATHEN Annual Meeting Minutes Posted
The minutes from the 2014 ATHEN Annual Meeting have now been posted and can be reviewed at: http://athenpro.org/content/minutes-athen-annual-meeting-2014 . A huge thank you to our past-Secretary, Susan Kelmer, in recording the meeting and to Terry Thompson in preparing and posting the minutes.

Election Results
ATHEN conducts elections for the open officer positions prior to the Annual Meeting at the Accessing Higher Ground Conference. This year the open positions were for President and Secretary. I dealt a crushing blow to my listed opponent (a Mr. Abstain, I believe) and, separately, I would like to welcome Wink Harner to the position of Secretary for ATHEN. Thank you to those who voted.

Note of Bylaws Change
As discussed in the ATHEN Annual Meeting, a proposal was made to change the membership term to January 1 to December 31. This will require a vote from the membership and more information will be coming regarding the details of how the ATHEN Bylaws will change to reflect this proposal. Stay tuned for the official announcement.

New Legal Updates
The US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights and two universities entered into resolution agreements regarding website accessibility and e-learning platforms in December, 2014. Direct links to the resolution agreements and letters for the University of Cincinnati and Youngstown State University can be found under Legal News on the ATHEN site (http://athenpro.org/content/legal-news).

Take care,
Sean