[Athen] making highly visual PDFs accessible

Teresa Haven Teresa.Haven at nau.edu
Wed Jul 1 15:59:02 PDT 2015

Greetings, all. I'm running into a challenge that I hope you can share some insights on. We have a couple of groups on campus who, as their main function, produce highly visual PDFs for mass distribution. (They are the graphic designers that in the "old days" would have been creating print products, such as flyers, posters, etc., but now are distributing their products primarily digitally, with print as a secondary avenue.) This unfortunately doesn't fall into the same category as teaching people how to make their PDFs-from-Word accessible, since their primary production tools are other parts of the Adobe suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Until recently they weren't using InDesign at all, and at my urging they are starting to add that tool to their workflow, but they need more help. Does anyone have tips, resources, etc. that I might be able to share with them? They already have all the documentation that is available directly from Adobe.

Thanks in advance,
Teresa

Teresa Haven, Ph.D.
Accessibility Analyst, Northern Arizona University