[Athen] Followup on technology images

Thompson, Rachel rsthompson2 at ua.edu
Thu Jul 2 06:52:01 PDT 2015

We are now installing ZoomText on all the computers available for students to use on campus. It is installed by campus IT groups on the 15 or so images used throughout computer classrooms, computer lab, and library public computer. We have a licensing server running on a virtual machine in our central IT group and we pay for 10 concurrent licenses (for a campus of 36,000 students).

We are looking into doing something similar with JAWS, but our IT group has some issues with how its licensing server software needs to be installed (won’t run on a virtual, I think).

Some campus areas are talking about virtualizing desktops, but are facing issues with network capabilities and initial cost.

I would love to hear more about how others are making assistive technology available campus-wide.

Dr. Rachel S. Thompson
Director, Emerging Technology and Accessibility
Center for Instructional Technology
University of Alabama
http://accessibility.ua.edu<http://accessibility.ua.edu/>