[Athen] question of captioning vs. ASL

Ron ronrstewart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:09:36 PDT 2015

It was a considerable topic of conversation a few years back. I would
contact our friends at Pepnet on the topic. It paralleled the early work on
signing avatars, which seemed to have promise but could never deliver on
the promise.

The short answer is yes but most likely not spliced into the video stream
but instead as it's own separate PnP display. I have seen it done very well
with the verbiage stream in one inbeded display and the ASL in a second.

>From a teaching and learning perspective I always become concerned about

cognitive load in these complex info processing environs.

One project I was involved in while at Oregon State worked at developing
multi-modal info streams and the end user could select the ones the wanted
in the learning space. A great project and the end product was amazing, but
so cost prohibitive to produce that it never went anywhere once the grant
ran out.

Ron Stewart