[Athen] question of captioning vs. ASL

Heidi Scher hascherdss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:38:21 PDT 2015

Hi Howard,

I have to echo Ron's suggestion at contacting PEPNet. But I can tell you
from experience that I have had graduate students who were deaf and did not
have literacy skills. We suspected that it was due to a reading disability
based on other characteristics the students exhibited. (This was back in
the "dark ages" when some believed that individuals who were deaf couldn't
have learning disabilities. Thank goodness the field has past that false
belief!)

I know at one time the University of Arkansas at Little Rock was doing a
tremendous job of including interpreters into their videos.

Heidi

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director --- Center for Educational Access
University of Arkansas --- 209 ARKU --- Fayetteville, AR 72701
479.575.3104 ph --- 479.575.7445 fax --- 479.575.3646 tdd
+++++++++++++++

StrengthQuest Talent Themes: Learner, Input, Maximizer, Intellection,
Arranger

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Your cooperation
is appreciated.

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director