[Athen] Testing Web Accessibility

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:03:46 PDT 2015

All:

The Stanford Online Accessibility Program has a set of pages about
Tools that some here may find helpful. feel free to use the contact
form on the site to suggest any to the program that you may feel are missing.

Start here:
https://soap.stanford.edu/tips-and-tools/tools

Note that I've seen a lot of different numbers about the percentage
of errors these tools can catch; I usually see figures like 25/30% of errors.

The upshot is that automated tools should be used for what they do
best, which is identifying patterns. It's very important to
understand, as many of you know (I'm sure) what a tool can and cannot
do for you. and that's especially so for interactive content.

Here's an article by Karl Groves that can help folks think through
some of the questions to ask when considering purchasing:
http://www.karlgroves.com/2013/06/28/choosing-an-automated-accessibility-testing-tool-13-questions-you-should-ask/

and here are several more:
http://www.karlgroves.com/2013/09/29/some-thoughts-on-automated-web-accessibility-testing/

http://www.karlgroves.com/2011/06/12/the-problem-with-automated-testing-tools/