[Athen] Making Math Accessible in Word

Seward, Kim kseward at mail.wtamu.edu
Tue Jun 16 12:57:47 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of creating some trigonometric worksheets in Word. I am interesting in making them accessible so visually challenged students who are using readers can access them. I am using Office 2007, Word 2010 and MathType 6.9. I have no issues on how to create math items using MathType in general. However, I am not sure how to make them accessible. Currently, when I use the incline feature of MathType, type in my math problem and save it to the Word document it shows that it is not accessible because there is no alt-tag. Based on my research, MathType is supposed to make the math accessible, I believe that it creates a MathML tag? So I am wondering if I missed a step or two or perhaps I am misunderstanding something.

I am having a hard time finding anything helpful that tells me how to make math that I type in MathType and save as part of a Word document accessible for students using readers.

Is the math I created through MathType accessible when the alt tag is blank?? OR am I missing a step or two??

Can anyone help me?

Thank You,
Kim Seward
WTAMU Math Instructor/Director of Math Labs
kseward at wtamu.edu<mailto:kseward at wtamu.edu>