[Athen] funding video captioning

Sharon M Trerise smtreris at syr.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:11:05 PDT 2015

As I'm sure some of you have experienced, we are getting a lot of panic around the cost associated with the requirement to caption video content for courses that are delivered fully online and hybrid courses. We would like to hear how your institution is handling this.

1. Are captioning costs paid through your institutions central budget or paid by the various school or department budgets for those faculty who are creating the videos?

2. How did you implement captioning? Are you using phased compliance timeframes so for example, the courses with the highest enrollment are required to be captioned first, lower enrollments later; specifying a start date for all current course content to be captioned; or other?

Thank you.

Sharon

Sharon Trerise
IT Analyst - Accessibility