[Athen] funding video captioning

Jiatyan C chenjiat at msu.edu
Mon Mar 30 08:38:37 PDT 2015

Our provost had decided that the responsibility lies with the colleges and departments -- she provides overall funds, and the colleges decide the details of priorities and budget. Some departments choose to use a vendor, some choose to hire students to caption themselves. Central IT provides instructions for these self-service captioning effort. Central IT is also providing preliminary scans of large enrolment courses and identifying specific courses on the academic path of students who have reported needing accommodation, and alerts the faculty to seek help.

Central IT will do immediate remediation in respond to an urgent accommodation request, and then bill the department back on the captioning cost incurred. Sticker shock usually ensues.

--
Jiatyan Chen

Coordinator for Web Accessibility

Creative Services Manager
IT Services - Teaching and Learning Technology
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
+1 (517)-884-0666
http://tech.msu.edu/learndat