[Athen] Mac/Accessible PDF compatibility

Madeleine Rothberg madeleine_rothberg at wgbh.org
Tue Nov 17 07:37:46 PST 2015

Evalyne and everyone,

Accessibility of PDFs on the Mac varies. We've noticed that VO now does a fair job with PDFs in Acrobat Pro DC (which is the newest version). It isn't great, but it's better than previous versions. VO with Adobe *Reader* is terrible: it won't read much if any text. VO will usually read PDF text in Preview, but it won't convey structure. For some purposes, that might be fine. What some people do with PDFs on the Mac is open in Reader and save as text, then read that with VO, as a workaround.

So it is possible that the vendor created an accessible PDF, which will work well on Windows but not on Mac.

-Madeleine

-----
Madeleine Rothberg
Senior Subject Matter Expert
National Center for Accessible Media at WGBH
http://ncam.wgbh.org
madeleine_rothberg at wgbh.org