[Athen] Foot pedals and transcription software

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 17 12:29:02 PST 2015

Hello Annissa,

I haven't used transcribe, so I can't comment on that.

1/3 of my CART team uses the Infinity foot pedals, but 2/3 use VLC and slow down the recording to a more comfortable speed using the + and - keys. We usually only use our CART team for course materials and live events, with me ripping the audio from the multimedia file(s) and providing it to the CART team to be transcribed.

The rest of the campus uses Kaltura, a video hosting service, and our Academic Technology department worked with cielo24.com to implement a 2 button click within Kaltura to provide captions for any and all videos uploaded by instructors. I believe that we're paying anywhere from $1 per minute up to $1.50 per minute.

A 5 unit course (Quarter system) would be about ~50 hours of potential recordings, which would amount to about $3k max in total costs at $1 per minute. A 5 unit course (Semester system) would be about ~80 hours of potential recordings, which would amount to about $4,800 max in total costs at $1 per minute.

Best,

Joshua