[Athen] google gmail, google drive accessibility

Howard Kramer hkramer at ahead.org
Wed Oct 28 13:28:03 PDT 2015

(Please excuse the cross-posts)

Does anyone know if google gmail and drive are yet accessible to
screenreaders such as JAWS and NVDA? We recently had a student report
working with a team of students where it was required to attached documents
from Google drive via email. This student was using JAWS with Google gmail.
Reportedly, she could open up the gmail dialogue to attach a document but
could not read any document names from drive to select the appropriate
file. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

One other - perhaps larger - question: what do you do if an application
such as Gmail with Google Drive only works with a screenreader/browser
combination a student AT user does not regularly use. Where is the line -
or is there a point - where you require the student to use a different
technology?

Thanks in advance.

-Howard

--
Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator

Join us for the *Accessing Higher Ground Conference
<http://accessinghigherground.org/>* in Denver, Colorado, Nov 16-20, 2015.
Complete Attendee, Exhibitor, Hotel, and Registration materials are
available now.

Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up
of webinars, *AHEADtoYOU!
<http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/webinars>* And the *Technology
Access Series <http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/at_webinars_15_16>*.
Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your
earliest convenience for the largest selection.

Not yet a member of AHEAD? *We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
<http://ahead.org/join/become-a-member>*