[Athen] the best 3 questions ever asked about mathml/PDFs and mathml/PDF/UA

KRISTA L. GREEAR greeark at uw.edu
Wed Apr 13 15:25:55 PDT 2016

Well, they probably aren't the best 3 questions ever asked but I wanted to be dramatic.

1. Has anyone been able to create a PDF/UA with MathML document? http://www.aiim.org/Research-and-Publications/standards/committees/PDFUA/Technical-Implementation-Guide (7.7 Math heading)

a. If so, would you be willing to share a copy? I wanted to test something but I haven't figure out how to create this yet.

2. How do folks create PDF/UA if they don't use Adobe Acrobat software?

3. I found the following text at https://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/tech/accessibility.htm: "MathPlayer 4 speaks and brailles math with NV Access' NonVisual Desktop (NVDA) in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft Word & PowerPoint, and it enables math speech in PDF with Adobe Reader." Has anyone ever had math in a PDF read aloud? Using any combo of technology? I am so curious.

I working with partners at my institution to great best practices for making math accessible in docs and web (hopefully). The plan is to post on the UW Accessibility page. I'm happy to share with the listserv the compilation of information I am getting during this quest/journey/odyssey.

Krista

Krista Greear
Accessible Text & Technology Manager
UW Disability Resources for Students