[Athen] the best 3 questions ever asked about mathml/PDFs and mathml/PDF/UA

steve.noble at louisville.edu steve.noble at louisville.edu
Thu Apr 14 06:13:15 PDT 2016

We have been detailing this sort of information in the Math Support Finder Beta as part of the MathML Cloud project headed up by Benetech. Reading a PDF file containing equations properly encoded with MathML is indeed possible using NVDA plus MathPlayer 4. You can find details about the testing which was done to verify this, and also download a test PDF with MathML, at this link: http://msf.mathmlcloud.org/setups/20

The Math Support Finder Beta home page is at http://msf.mathmlcloud.org/ This allows you to search for what is available for any given platform or file type. We still have a lot more testing to do, but I suspect all (or almost all) of the technologies which actually work are already populated. There are many, many, more instances of lack of math support, and many of those such instances have not been formally tested.

The big hurdle, however, is getting the MathML into a PDF in the first place, since none of the automated tools to produce PDF support this capability, and thus someone has to hand-code every single math expression.

Hope that helps!

--Steve Noble
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088
http://louisville.academia.edu/SteveNoble<https://exchange.louisville.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=CdhMttRtdkSZAY1GqZCRu5k28cp7bNAIPUU6wKc1De8y-_GlninyxASwkrwRp4PfcJ9J6C2iqrk.&URL=http%3a%2f%2flouisville.academia.edu%2fSteveNoble>