[Athen] Accessible Medical Heath Record and Billing Software

Sean Keegan skeegan at ccctechcenter.org
Tue Aug 9 10:50:57 PDT 2016

Hi Howard,

I did a bit of investigation around this topic about 18 months ago and the
short version was that the applications that offered a student- and
staff-facing web-based interface had numerous accessibility issues and
could be very difficult to use. For institutions that provide health center
services via web-based applications, (IMO) this is just a lawsuit waiting
to happen.

That said, I do know that my old health provider did license part of the
EPIC platform for the patient portal and there was decent documentation on
how to support access to that UI via assistive technologies. JAWS and
ZoomText were the two AT applications that seemed to get mentioned the most
in the product documentation and instructions for use were also part of the
UI.

Take care,
sean