[Athen] Cerebral Palsy

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:31:05 PST 2016

Good morning,

I think that if the application does not support the individual's ability
to communicate fully, he may need to explore other options. There are
several AAC applications that truly address full communication. I am
unsure how that particular app has been determined to best serve his needs
since your comment notes that it does not provide the necessary language.

I do not want to make any app recommendations since an assessment to
determine his skills would be necessary so that the selection DOES support
his skills and needs.

Nettie

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Wouk, Adam <wouka at morainevalley.edu> wrote:

> Good Afternoon everyone,

> I have a student who is coming to college for his first semester. He has

> been out of school for 2 years. This student has Cerebral Palsy, is unable

> to speak and has limited muscle control in his arms and hands. He uses a

> Samsung tablet that has a PECS board on it to communicate. The PECS board

> is limited. Right now the biggest obstacle is testing. He does very well

> with multiple choice and true and false. However, the PECS board is not

> enough for him to communicate to the scribe answers for anything that must

> be written out for essays and short answers. I have tried iPads and

> computers so that he could type but because he has limited muscle control

> in his hands, it is difficult for him to type with any accuracy.

> Our school is VERY resistant to test modifications. I am looking for

> ideas. This is a new case for me and I’m not totally sure on how to

> proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Adam Wouk

> Educational Case Manager ~ Center for Disability Services

> Moraine Valley Community College

> Email: wouka at morainevalley.edu

> Phone: 708-608-4120

*Nettie T. Fischer, ATPAssistive Technology Professional*
*NettieT, ATP Consultants*
*RESNA Certified*
*California Certified NPA *

*Phone: [916] 704-1456*
*Fax: [916] 686-1860*

* www.nettietatpconsultants.com <http://www.nettietatpconsultants.com>*
NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This communication is intended only for the person or
entity to whom it is addressed; the contents of this message may constitute
a privileged communication and may be protected by law. If you receive this
in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying is
strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail or by
contacting Nettie Fischer at (916) 704-1456 <%28530%29%20406-3166> and
delete this communication and any attached documents from your system. *Thank
You*