[Athen] AT assessment tool with outcome measures

Linda Petty linda.petty at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 26 11:29:09 PST 2016

Responding to the post, below...

I was once very active in the area of AT and Outcomes, and while there are some specific to AT tools, I didn't find them very sensitive to various aspects of the individual with the disability, or the variance in tasks between different age groups, or environments. (PIAF, QUEST, etc.)

So I use the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM) on a day to day basis; it is a validated, reliable tool for identifying individual, client centered needs, obtaining a numeric value on the student's performance and satisfaction with their current skill levels and technologies, or lack thereof, and then can be re-administered to obtain outcomes, changed in the performance and satisfaction, after the student has received AT and training, and becomes proficient in it. This data can be compiled, to give administrators data on changes following the implementation of the technology, or used in case study type scenarios. I have used it in both papers and in annual reports back to government funding agencies.

For more general information on the COPM: https://www.caot.ca/copm/description.html It's available in multiple languages, etc.

This essentially is my needs review tool; from this discussion, I go into equipment trials, software demonstrations, etc. , then wrap up with recommendations for further AT trials, training, funding, etc. It is important to build time into the schedule to go back and collect the outcomes data, and compile it, usually the next semester or at the end of the semester, depending on how rapidly funding, AT and training are provided.

If you would like to email me off list, I can send you pdfs of an article or two or conference proceedings, and somewhere I have a PowerPoint that I did at Closing the Gap on some of the practical issues and general info on using the COPM in AT.

Regards
Linda

Linda Petty, O.T. Reg. (Ont.)
Assistive Technology Consultant
AccessAbility Services
a division of Student Affairs

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
Science Wing, Room SW302G
1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario  M1C 1A4
Direct Line: 416-208-5144
Tel/TTY (appointments): 416-287-7560
Fax: 416-287-7334
www.utsc.utoronto.ca/ability

Tomorrow is created here.
This electronic message and all contents contain information that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and all copies.