[Athen] Question about what other institutions are doing regarding CAD/CAM type software

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Wed Jan 13 11:11:45 PST 2016

Hi Howard,

I like your idea of asking the vendor to make the parts accessible that can be made accessible.

Here in California, since by state law we are working under the Section 508 Standards, we work with the four exemptions. Two of those exemptions might apply here: technical infeasibility and commercially unavailable.

What the CSUs do in these situations, which I am encouraging my CCCs to do, as well, is to consider accommodation during the purchasing process. CAD programs are not accessible, so if we have a student who needs an accommodation, what will we do? Having at least a tentative strategy in place can be of great assistance if the need arises.

The CSUs have developed some useful forms and strategies for procurement. You might wish to check out their Accessible Technology Initiative website:

http://www.calstate.edu/Accessibility/EIT_Procurement/

Good luck!

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
HTCTU Director