[Athen] equipment loan policies?

Lisa Brandt lisa.brandt1 at pcc.edu
Thu May 19 12:41:05 PDT 2016

Hi Normajean,

Does the library have any written policies for other things they check out
to students? That might be a good place to start. Although we check out AT
equipment to students ourselves, we try to mirror library policy for the
sake of consistency.

We check out a high volume of equipment every term, but loans are not based
on financial need. Items that are used in the classroom, such as a CCTV,
are placed by us, but not checked out to the student.

Students receive an email receipt from us (below) after checking equipment
out. We used to print out a form and have students sign it at checkout, but
this doesn't really make any difference in returns. It was also often
impractical to print and scan a paper form in training sessions that might
take place away from our main office, so we no longer do that.

We also place a packing slip into the equipment case, which states that the
student is responsible for equipment that is lost, damaged, or stolen. The
packing slip includes numbered pictures and descriptions of all pieces
included with the equipment. This assists both the student in returning all
of the pieces, and staff when checking the items in.

Following is a sample of our equipment email receipt:

*Portland Community College Disability Services AT Checkout *

- Students should not expect courtesy loans to serve as their only means
of access to course materials or activities. Note that alternate format
materials can be downloaded and accessed in computer labs.
- Disability Services provides training in the use of technologies and
can help students identify and leverage accessible community and campus-
based computing resources.
- Borrower accepts responsibility for the repair or replacement of the
equipment in the event of loss, theft, or damage. Replacement cost and
prices will be based on current market costs.
- Refrain from unauthorized attempts to circumvent the security
mechanisms of any college system.
- Refrain from using college computing resources for commercial purposes.
- Refrain from unauthorized viewing or use of another person's computer
files, programs, accounts, and data. If you find another person's
information in the system, please contact our office as soon as possible.
- PCC Disability Services is not responsible for your personal data left
in the equipment. PCC Disability Services suggests that all personal data
should be kept in an external device.
- Borrowers may not install their own software, or change system
settings without written approval from PCC Disability Services. EQUIPMENT
SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED. PCC is not responsible if equipment is
stolen or damaged during the borrower's loan period. The borrower is
responsible for equipment until it has been returned and checked in by
staff.
- Equipment should not be used in locations that might increase the
likelihood of damage and should be kept in a padded carrying case or sleeve
during transportation.

*Access to Technology*

- Accessible Computing opportunities are provided for all PCC students
across the college. The standard configuration of computer lab stations
includes access technologies, but additional software or hardware can be
requested through DS and placed as needed when appropriate.
- PCC Libraries provide loaner equipment including a variety of
assistive technologies. These options are afforded on a first-come
first-served basis.
- Disability Services provides classroom based equipment on an
individualized basis through the accommodation process.
- Disability Services loans equipment as a courtesy to assist students
in the process of discovering which tools and techniques are most effective
for them as learners, and as a means to address a short-term or acute need.
The loans are made on a term-by-term basis and are not meant to provide
ongoing personal home-based use of college-owned equipment.
- Students should not expect courtesy loans to serve as their only means
of access to course materials or activities. Note that alternate format
materials can be downloaded and accessed in computer labs.
- Disability Services provides training in the use of technologies and
can help students identify and leverage accessible community and campus-
based computing resources.

User Full Name: *XXXXXXX*
School ID: *XXXXXXX*
Due Date: *XXXXXXX*
Additional Note: *XXXXXXX*

Item(s) Checked Out
Equipment DescriptionSerial NumberValue
Livescribe 3-D Recording Earbuds Loaner 9687 *$ 30.00*
Please return equipment to the Disability Services office of your choice
during open business hours (please contact the office of return to find out
their open hours). Please note that we will send due date reminders by
email, and will charge late fees, or replacement fees, which could result
in financial holds on student accounts.