[Athen] Accessible digital course pack vendors?

Jennifer Stevens jennifer_stevens at emerson.edu
Tue Nov 1 06:49:29 PDT 2016

Hello all,

My apologies if you've seen me ask this on another list!

We've been trying to find vendors that would simultaneously solve our copyright clearance and accessibility problems for readings in online courses.

We've looked at XanEdu and SIPX, and they will research the clearances and allow students to purchase coursepacks online, but the PDFs they provide are only OCR and do not meet the PDF/UA standard. (XanEdu says that they have "enhanced" PDFs upon request, but their process is only to OCR them and then convert them to EPUB.)

Do you know of any vendors that do copyright clearances, allow students to purchase digital coursepacks online AND provide pdfs that meet the PDF/UA standard as a matter of course? Are we searching for a unicorn? How do have you solved these problems?

Thanks,

Jenn Stevens

Director | Instructional Technology Group | 403A Walker Building | Emerson College | 120 Boylston St | Boston MA 02116 | (617) 824-3093