[Athen] Guidelines for captioning video: don't forget recording quality

Christine Robinson crobinson at ggc.edu
Fri Aug 25 08:39:48 PDT 2017

We don’t have a line item in our budget for captioning at this point, either. We’re still in fairly early stages of helping our faculty members create accessible instructional materials, and these days, we’re simply encouraging them to do as much of their own captioning as they can.

We use Kaltura for most video; some of our faculty upload their videos to YouTube. With either platform, there is automatic machine captioning. Of course, there are lots of speech-to-text “caption fails,” but at least our profs can use that captioning as a basis, and then make corrections where needed.

Correcting machine captioning can be very time-consuming, so we’re trying to help our faculty members learn how to create videos with higher audio quality. Better audio results in fewer errors in the machine captioning, which means it takes less time to correct.

Our recommendations:

1. Script: Whenever possible, work from a script instead of speaking off the cuff.

2. Microphone: Use the best mic possible (not the laptop’s mic), keep it close to the mouth, learn to adjust levels so the sound isn’t distorted.

3. Enunciation: Take care to speak as clearly as possible.

Hope this helps a bit!

Best,
Chris

Christine Robinson | Technical Trainer/Writer | Center for Teaching Excellence
Georgia Gwinnett College | 1000 University Center Lane | Lawrenceville, GA 30043