[Athen] Using MS Publisher to create accessible publishing documents...

Wink Harner foreigntype at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:38:57 PDT 2017

Hi Kamran et al ATHENITES,

There are easier (less painful) ways to do this as you already know. People
are fond of using Publisher because it makes their documents "look good,"
doesn't have a steep learning curve, and since it's included with the
Microsoft Office package, there is no extra purchase involved.The
accessibility tools we have come to rely on do not work as
well/quickly/smoothly in Publisher as in other document prep programs.

Remediating after the fact is always a challenge! Here is a pretty decent
link outlining the steps to take to ensure at least basic accessibility,
including the challenge of alt-tags. Take a look at these steps and see if
it will fix your dilemma with this document.

https://webaccess.msu.edu/Tutorials/publisher.html

Cheers,

Wink Harner