[Athen] site works with NVDA/Chrome, JAWS/IE, but not NVDA/Firefox

Howard Kramer hkramer at ahead.org
Fri Feb 3 09:29:39 PST 2017

Sean,

I would say yes, this a page that doesn't do a full refresh. I'll ask the
developer if he's trying to reset focus. The page isn't crashing btw, just
not reading correctly.

I did try with Jaws/IE and it did seem to work fine.

Just to clarify, do you require that all 3 combinations (e.g.,
NVDA+Firefox, JAWS+IE, VoiceOver+Safari, etc.) work before designating it
screenreader accessible? This will be an internal application but I think
it's supported on all 3 of those browsers.

Thanks for the tips and the article.

-Howard

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Sean Keegan <skeegan at ccctechcenter.org>
wrote:

> [...]

> JavaScript, but it never quite worked reliably. As best I could tell, the

> script tried to set focus to the H1 element on the page before the page

> view had finished loading.

> The dev fixed the focus script to happen after the page had completed

> via Firefox. Also fixed the crash issue.

> Simply Accessible had a good article on focus management for Angular.js

> applications that may be useful. We were using React, but the same

> principles apply:

> http://simplyaccessible.com/article/spangular-accessibility/

> I establish the operating environment and screen-reader requirements at

> the start, so sign-off happens when we meet those requirements (e.g.,

> NVDA+Firefox, JAWS+IE, VoiceOver+Safari, etc.). The operating environment

> can vary depending on the app in question - for example, if this was an

> internal application and the only browsers supported by the IT department

> are Chrome and Firefox, then a screen-reader would have to work with at

> least one of those browsers. That said, I am highly suspicious of any web

> application that does not work in Firefox with NVDA.

> Take care,

> Sean

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Howard Kramer <hkramer at ahead.org> wrote:

>> Just wanted to get other folks' opinion on this. I've been helping to

>> evaluate a prototype application here on our campus - time/payroll type

>> tool. Surprisingly I've found the the interface is pretty accessible with

>> NVDA/Chrome and JAWS/Firefox but not accessible with NVDA/Firefox. The

>> developer said he tested his design with ChromeVox so that helps explain

>> the accessibility with Chrome.

>> Two questions: at what point do you say an application or website is

>> screenreader accessible - does it have to work with every AT/browser combo

>> or if it seems to work with most, is that okay. Second, any ideas on why

>> the NVDA/FF environment does not work? BTW - this application was developed

>> under the ServiceNow platform.

>> Thanks,

>> Howard

>> --

>> Howard Kramer

>> Conference Coordinator

>> Accessing Higher Ground

>> 303-492-8672 <(303)%20492-8672>

>> cell: 720-351-8668 <(720)%20351-8668>

>> Join us for the *Accessing Higher Ground Conference

>> <http://accessinghigherground.org/>* in Denver, Colorado, Nov 13-17,

>> 2017. Request for proposals will be announced at the beginning of March.

>> Complete program information and registration is open for our full

>> line-up of webinars, *AHEADtoYOU!

>> <http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/webinars>* And the *Technology

>> Access Series <http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/at_webinars_15_16>*.

>> Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your

>> earliest convenience for the largest selection.

>> Not yet a member of AHEAD? *We welcome you to join AHEAD now.

Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator
Accessing Higher Ground
303-492-8672