[Athen] FW: AHEAD offers Master Classes, an advanced curriculum for ADA professionals in high education May 18-20

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Fri Feb 10 11:07:35 PST 2017

"The Next Chapter" Master Classes for the Seasoned Professional this May in
Dallas, Texas

https://www.ahead.org/meet/conferences/the-next-chapter

The Next Chapter: Master Classes for the Seasoned Professional

May 18 - 20, 2017

The Sheraton Dallas Hotel, Dallas, Texas

AHEAD, through its conferences, webinars, and other resources, is recognized
as a leader in providing professional development for disability services
and resource personnel. For a number of years, highly experienced
professionals have also asked for more content that pushes their
development: that assists them in making nuanced decisions, staying current
with legal and technological changes, engaging campus stakeholders, and
gaining the respect necessary to redefine access on their campuses.

The Next Chapter is a response to those requests. With four 3-day Master
Classes, we invite institutional leaders and seasoned disability providers,
with a solid understanding of the ADA and disability accommodation process,
to join national-expert instructors for a deep dive into an "advanced"
curriculum. Programs include:

* Access in the Health Sciences Curriculum: Advanced Training for
Disability Professionals
* System Change: Advanced Advocacy for Access and Inclusion
* Disability Law: Lessons in Application for the Advanced Disability
Professional
* The ADA Coordinator Role: Advanced Issues in Higher Education

To ensure maximum learning and interaction, registrations will be capped for
each Master Class. All programs include 20-hours of instruction and result
in a certificate to document enhanced expertise in a specific area of access
and inclusion. Some Classes will require pre-work. AHEAD is applying for CEU
pre-approval from the CRCC for this program.

Program Schedule

Thursday & Friday - 6.75 hours; Saturday - 6.5 hours

* 9:00-10:30- 1.5 hour training time
* 10:30-10:45- break
* 10:45-12:30- 1.75 hour training time
* 12:30-1:45- lunch
* 1:45-3:30- 1.75 hour training time
* 3:30-3:45- break
* 3:45-5:30 (5:15 on Saturday)- 1.75 hour training time

Please Note: Based on the required 4-hours of pre-work, the Access in the
Health Sciences Curriculum program will not meet until Thursday afternoon
and will have slightly different hours that will be shared with registrants
in April.

Disability Law: Lessons in Application for the Advanced Disability
Professional

Paul D. Grossman, J.D., OCR, Chief Regional Civil Rights Attorney, San
Francisco, retired; University of California, Hastings College of Law
Jamie Axelrod, M.S., Northern Arizona University
Mary Lee Vance, Ph.D., University of Berkeley, retired; Consultant

The higher education environment and the legal concepts intended to ensure
its accessibility are multi-faceted and ever-changing. It can sometimes feel
as though the more we know, the more challenging it can be to find the
salient issues in novel situations and apply the relevant legal concepts.
Nonetheless, the law is an effective tool for both securing students' civil
rights and setting limits. Even with mastery of baseline information, we
face the greater challenge of figuring out how to implement it. For example,
how on earth can you assure that every video posted by every faculty member,
adjunct instructor, and visiting professor is captioned?

This advanced training will highlight long-standing and widely-accepted
judicial precedents and principles, as well as the latest decisions on
cutting-edge issues, and provide an interactive exploration of their
practical implications. We will succinctly cover the law, from basics to
cutting-edge principles, and facilitate best practice discussions through
multiple case scenarios. Within a team of experienced colleagues, you will
have the opportunity to become facile with the law by applying it to
realistic and complex hypothetical questions, sharing your ideas and
solutions, and exploring approaches to effective implementation. Together
with your colleagues and the presenters, you will explore these difficult
issues and assess practical policies, processes, and procedures that provide
effective access in accordance with legal obligations. We will also explore
approaches to effectively communicate with campus partners/opponents and
administrators in ways that can bring about more inclusive and accessible
programs and services. Many of our hypotheticals will be based on OCR/DOJ
findings, letters, and court decisions that reflect common and recurring
situations; participant scenarios are also welcome.

This certificate-bearing Master Class will include 20-hours of face-to-face
discussion and instruction. Participants will be sent four seminal rulings
related to disability law in postsecondary education to review prior to our
time together; on-site work will focus on application in the following
areas:

* Selling your mission: disability rights as a civil rights
* The definition of disability under Section 504, the ADA as amended
by the ADAAA, and, most importantly, the new DOJ Title II and Title III
regulations, including the new emphasis on "condition, manner, and duration"
analysis
* Accommodations, academic adjustments, and auxiliary aids that are,
or are not, required in the postsecondary setting
* Ways to consider and implement the primary defenses to the duty to
accommodate including "equally effective alterations", "fundamental
alteration," and "undue burden"
* The digital world, including alternate media production and access
to websites, academic management tools, on-line learning, and adaptive
technology
* Service and emotional support animals
* Programs and facility access
* Discipline and student conduct
* Self-injurious students
* Internships and field work

Access in the Health Sciences Curriculum: Advanced Training for Disability
Professionals

Lisa Meeks, Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco
Elisa Laird-Metke, J.D., Samuel Merritt University

The high stakes environment of the health sciences, coupled with
multi-layered educational experiences (e.g., didactics, anatomy labs,
clinical rotations, standardized patient exams, etc.) creates a minefield
for disability service professionals unfamiliar with the culture, hierarchy,
and nuanced elements of teaching in medical fields. Challenges particular to
health science programs include the lock-step nature of most programs,
competitive admissions, potential ramifications of disclosing a disability
as a future health care provider, differing needs in didactic vs. clinical
settings, and the need for proactive planning to address issues that arise
in clinical settings. Disability service professionals in medicine, nursing,
dental, pharmacy, physical and occupational therapy, physician assistant,
and other health-related areas must understand these issues, as well as the
strict requirements for meeting technical standards, core competencies, and
board and licensing exam requirements. Even the most seasoned disability
service professional needs additional support and education to work
effectively in these environments.

This dynamic and interactive 20-hour certificate program will include
self-study, case study, deconstruction of OCR and court cases, and small
group discussion. Together, these experiences will prepare experienced
providers to work through complex accommodation requests and identify
recurrent health science challenges. The program leaders will provide models
for decision-making and communication, guidance on policy and procedure, and
a process flow for determining and implementing accommodations.

Presented in partnership with the Coalition for Disability Access in Health
Sciences in Medical Education, the Master Class includes 4-hours of pre-work
and 16-hours of face-to-face instruction in the following areas:

* Quick review of relevant disability laws, with detailed instruction
on their application in health sciences education
* Educating health science faculty members about the ADA and access
for students with disabilities
* Review of health science technical standards and balancing
disability accommodations with program requirements
* Determining reasonable accommodations in the clinical environment,
including labs, clerkships, preceptorships, and objective structured
clinical examination (OSCEs) and other standardized patient activities
* Relationship between accommodations and patient safety concerns, or
perceived concerns
* Creating effective policies and procedures for determining and
implementing accommodations, including review of relevant case law and OCR
resolutions
* Best practices for communication about disability-related issues
among faculty and students
* Working with health science students with differing disabilities,
including psychological, communication-based, physical, and sensory
conditions
* Working with health science faculty members on maintaining their
roles as educators when working with students with disabilities
* "Busting" prevailing myths regarding students with disabilities in
health science programs, including concerns about patient safety,
requirements and standards, preparation for the "real world" of work, and
how to counter those when they arise
* The ABC's of licensing exams and how to support students through
them
* Guiding students regarding how they disclose disability and request
accommodations in the program, in residency or fellowships, and in
employment

System Change: Advanced Advocacy for Access and Inclusion

Sue Kroeger, University of Arizona
Melanie Thornton, CURRENTS, University of Arkansas
Gladys Loewen, Consultant
Carol Funckes, AHEAD

Whether from an office of one or sixty-one, being a visible and persistent
facilitator of system change is "the good work" in which disability
services' staff must engage if meaningful access and inclusion are to be
realized. From student services to strategic planning; from onsite and
online instruction to the workplace; from electronic information systems to
facilities design and construction, disability intersects with every corner
of our institutions. Yet, oftentimes disability service staff feel powerless
and helpless in galvanizing campus communities to change the dominant
disability narrative from tragedy and pity to respect and appreciation or
change the design of environments from oppressive and exclusive to equitable
and inclusive.

As disability service personnel, we often assume that we don't have the
clout or resources necessary to affect change: that our opinions are not
sought or valued, our supervisors not supportive, and our administrators
only interested in avoiding litigation. We feel overworked and
under-resourced. We don't see disability well-represented in our campus
diversity efforts and perceive the parameters of our offices as limiting our
ability to help move the institution toward an inclusive, welcoming culture.
While these assumptions have merit, with knowledge, skills, and motivation,
we can become effective agents of systemic change.

This provocative and interactive certificate program is based on curriculum
from the federally-funded Project ShIFT, a project that changed perceptions
of access on campuses across the country and propelled participants into
national leadership roles. It will include a variety of instructional
strategies to build knowledge in the areas of privilege, social justice, the
disability experience, and design and skills in advocacy, environmental
assessment, and strategic connections and coalitions.

The 20-hour Master Class includes a full three-days of instruction to
increase fluency relative to disability access and inclusion. Key questions
that will guide our work include:

* What is the dominant disability narrative on our campuses?
* What are our beliefs and conceptualizations about disability?
* Is there dissonance between our beliefs about disability and our
rhetoric and behavior?
* Do our practices reflect scholarship?
* In what roles do we feel most comfortable? Most uncomfortable?
* What is the disabled student experience on our campuses?
* Would our institutions rather appropriate funds to proactively
modify campus environments or wait to see who needs access and address those
situations individually? Why?
* If our goals are access, inclusion, equity, and sustainability, then
what is the good work to do?
* Do we see ourselves as agents of social change?
* How do we agitate/advocate for transforming the way our campuses
think about difference, disability, and design?
* How do we demonstrate design's capacity to solve, or at least
decrease, exclusion and marginalization?

The ADA Coordinator Role: Advanced Issues in Compliance in Higher Education

L. Scott Lissner, ADA Coordinator, The Ohio State University

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires state and local entities with
over 50 employees to designate an ADA Coordinator (all federal fund
recipients must designate a 504 Compliance Officer) to oversee and
coordinate ADA compliance. The U.S. Department of Justice strongly
recommends that smaller public entities and businesses also designate an ADA
Coordinator as best practice in meeting their compliance obligations. Over
the past 25 years full-time ADA Coordinators have become increasingly common
in higher education and increasingly important in providing seamless access.

This training is intended for participants familiar with Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the process of
reasonable accommodation. Using a review of the administrative requirements
of the ADA, the facilitator will draw on his and participants' experiences
to explore the role of ADA Coordinators within higher education and explore
best practice strategies for implementing a coordinated program that moves
colleges and universities towards seamless access and enhances the full
participation of disabled individuals in all aspects of the academic
enterprise.

Across a range of practice areas that reflect the diversity and scope of
higher education, participants in this advanced level, certificate program
will review relevant statutes, regulations, and case law, balanced with case
studies, hypotheticals, and practical resources for future reference. Within
and across topics, concrete examples will highlight core principles and
process that can be adapted to a range of educational institutions. We will
cover:

* The Letter and Spirit of the Law, including Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act, the five titles of the ADA, interactions with state law,
federal grant requirements, core administrative requirements
* Infrastructure policy: institutional mission and philosophy, core
nondiscrimination issues, compliance social justice, etc.
* Budget models: central vs. distributed, core vs. auxiliary service;
undue financial hardship; etc.
* Facility Access: standards, universal design, construction and
renovation, audits, funding, deferred maintenance
* Information and Communications Technology Access: standards and
benchmarks, audits and strategic access plans, bids and purchasing,
curriculum and text embedded technologies, policy models
* Transportation Systems: shuttles, rentals, personal cars and
parking, field trips, campus bus systems, contracts with public
transportation, car and bike share programs
* Purchasing: Calls for Proposals, contracts and services, real
estate, etc.
* Student accommodation process: reasonableness, undue burden, direct
threat; effective, equally effective, and ability to benefit
* Employee accommodations: intersection with family medical leave and
workers' compensation, benefit programs, annual reviews, corrective action,
termination
* Accommodation requests from other program participants: prospective
families, community members, patients, research subjects, etc.
* Access and accommodation in unique programs: hotels, hospitals,
farms, extension programs, senior and alumna programs, dual enrollment and
pipeline programs
* Internal and external complain investigations, including Department
of Education, Department of Justice, Equal Employment Opportunity
Commission, and other federal agencies

Bio's for the faculty, registration and additional information can be found
on the AHEAD website at:
https://www.ahead.org/meet/conferences/the-next-chapter