[Athen] video accessibility on Facebook

Hunziker, Dawn A - (hunziker) hunziker at email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 13 08:43:20 PST 2017

Hi Krista,

We are captioning our Facebook videos on the main University of Arizona Facebook page. As of now, the videos posted are all planned in advance so we get captions created in advance. Maybe "posting on the fly" is not an option? Perhaps they post it a couple of hours after the recording so there's time to get a captioned version posted... This is a discussion we're having now as well.

If the same videos are posted on YouTube and Facebook, the SRT file created from the YouTube video could be downloaded and uploaded to Facebook. Something to know - posting links to YouTube videos does not reach the audience numbers the way posting the video directly via Facebook does because Facebook "downgrades" the YouTube links in favor of their hosted videos.

I'm still working to figure out a plan for the livestream and learning who on campus is taking advantage of this communication tool. If the live events are planned in advance, then a CART writer could certainly be provided. In the comments, simply post the URL to view captions... If the live stream does not have sound, then have that information posted in the comments somehow and regularly so it shows up as a recent comment?

If you come up with processes around these items, please share as I'm sure we're not the only ones working on solutions!

Have a great day,

Dawn

~~
Dawn Hunziker