[Athen] proper heading structure in PDF

Howard Kramer hkramer at ahead.org
Tue Feb 14 08:53:51 PST 2017

Thanks Bevi.

-Howard

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Chagnon | PubCom <chagnon at pubcom.com>
wrote:

> That’ll work!

> Unfortunately, there are many instances in WCAG and PDF/UA that lack

> adequate tags for the type of material we create.

> Those who create the standards are mostly programmers (mostly, not all)

> who don’t usually think about how to handle title pages, titles with

> subtitles, kicker headings, deck heads, department headings, and other

> common parts of our documents. We end up cramming square WCAG/PDF-UA tags

> into round document holes.

> I counsel my clients to do what makes sense to you for that particular

> document. As long as there is an H1 tag that designates the title, it’s

> somewhere close to the start of the reading order, and it is followed by a

> logical heading hierarchy for other titles, the user should be able to

> figure things out.

> And don’t forget to KISS: keep it simple, sweetie. Don’t obsess too much

> about this and don’t make it overly complicated for you or your audience.

> Sometimes a <P> tag does the job just fine.

> --Bevi Chagnon

> — — —

> *Bevi Chagnon *| www.*PubCom*.com <http://www.pubcom.com/>

> *Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers*

> *for publishing & communication*

> | Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |

> — — —

Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator
Accessing Higher Ground
303-492-8672
cell: 720-351-8668

Join us for the *Accessing Higher Ground Conference
<http://accessinghigherground.org/>* in Denver, Colorado, Nov 13-17, 2017.
Request for proposals will be announced at the beginning of March.

Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up
of webinars, *AHEADtoYOU!
<http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/webinars>* And the *Technology
Access Series <http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/at_webinars_15_16>*.
Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your
earliest convenience for the largest selection.

Not yet a member of AHEAD? *We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
<http://ahead.org/join/become-a-member>*