[Athen] Word 2016 and JAWS/NVDA Image ALT text

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Wed Feb 22 08:24:33 PST 2017

JAWS 18 IS reading the Alt text of images in PowerPoint…so far.

I typically don’t use the Title attribute in Office documents. I don’t know of an adaptive technology that supports it and if I don’t add the Title, the accessibility Checker doesn’t catch it.

If we want the Title attribute supported then we need to advocate for the support but I think Alt Text is enough for images in Office documents. If we get support for the Title attribute, then we have to identify what type of text to put in it and how will that be different from or enhance Alt text. We also have to decide when or if to add the Title attribute. If we don’t “need” it will it get flagged by the Accessibility Checker? If adaptive technology consistently does read the Alt Text attribute (with the exception of bugs that appear in a specific build or version), then do we really need the Title attribute?

BTW, if you try to put null Alt Text in an Office document, you end up with us hearing “graphic, quote, quote” or “Graphic quote, space, quote” and when you convert the document to tagged PDF, the image is not converted to an Artifact, we still hear that Alt Text of “graphic, quote, quote.” The word graphic is added by the adaptive technology to let us know that we are on an image.

Some techniques don’t transfer to other formats. Office-type documents have no concept of Artifacts or null Alt Text. Sort of like trying to make your house a boat by giving it an anchor and a chain. :)

Cheers, Karen