[Athen] qualifications for a digital accessibility coordinator?

Dori Lloyd dori_lloyd at davidsonccc.edu
Mon Jan 30 13:14:34 PST 2017

I am working on writing a position description for a Digital Accessibility
Coordinator for my mid-sized community college.

Just to give you a summary of the position, the plan is for this person to
coordinate and lead school efforts to meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA. He/she will
develop, coordinate, and lead a usability/accessibility testing team.
He/she will also serve as a leader, coach, consultant, and trainer to
faculty and staff regarding digital accessibility. Note, we outsource our
website management so this person would not oversee the accessibility of
the website or have to do extensive web coding. However, he/she would help
train faculty and staff to be mindful of what they send to the website
technician to be loaded by way of documents, etc. He/she would also be
responsible for helping faculty with the digital content they post for
their courses.

Anyhow, since this is a new position, I wanted to tap into the expertise of
the group. Can anyone share with me offline a position description for a
comparable position? Also, I'm curious as to what type of educational
background/degree is acceptable to ask for when it comes to this type of
position. I'm not aware of a digital/web accessibility degree but perhaps
there is one or something similar? Or, perhaps the applicant's experience
is more valuable than the degree? I would love to hear what others have
had success with. Please feel free to message me offline:
dori_lloyd at davidsonccc.edu.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
*Dori Lloyd*
Director, Distance Education and Instructional Technology

Davidson County Community College
P.O. Box 1287 | Lexington, NC 27293-1287
336.224.4518
www.davidsonccc.edu

*Storm Toward Success*

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject
to the North Carolina Public Records Law and shall be disclosed
to third parties when required by the statutes. (NCGS.Ch.132)