[Athen] textAV Notes - Tools for Captioning

Joseph Polizzotto jpolizzotto at htctu.net
Mon Jul 31 08:39:17 PDT 2017

All:

I recently participated in textAV, which was a three-day working group focused on new developments in online video and audio. The event drew many developers from around the world who are doing interesting work that could potentially benefit our field. Here is a link to the YouTube playlist where many of the videos from the event can be found:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6cU2oc6p-II1H4ZdYbx5Tg

Here is a link to the gitbook where the project notes from the workgroups can be found:

https://pietropassarelli.gitbooks.io/textav/

My interest was primarily in the development of an open-source tool that can speed up a typical DIY captioning workflow. For instance, why not create an application that incorporates speech recognition to generate a "raw" transcript of a video, natural language processing (NLP) to segment a transcript into quality caption chunks, and forced alignment to automatically synchronize a segmented transcript with a video? You can find my presentation here:

https://pietropassarelli.gitbooks.io/textav/remote-presentations/captioning-workflow.html

I was pleased that some developers were interested in these ideas and have already begun work on a prototype of a free to low-cost application that will include these useful tools for speeding up the captioning process. So far, their work looks promising and I wanted to inform you all about it.

If you are interested in following this work and would like to try it out, you can fill out the Google Form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfu_fr2kQtAfBz5UFiHhVvOcJNmu2UwyKcSwuu7TvJxT0k9vA/viewform

Thanks for letting me share some of the details about this event with you.

Best,

Joseph Polizzotto

jpolizzotto at htctu.net <mailto:jpolizzotto at htctu.net>